- The competition is open to anyone except those directly involved in the organisation and judging (including their families and relatives).
- Employees of sponsors who have not been directly involved in the organisation of this competition are eligible to enter.
- It is open to all professional and amateur photographers of any nationality.
- Entrants to the Adult competition must be aged 19 or over on 4th May 2013 .
- There are two awards for young photographers. Visit the Young People's Awards page for further details.
- Entrants for “Young People's British Wildlife Photographer - up to 12 years” must be under 12 years old on the 4th May 2013 .
- Entrants for “Young People's British Wildlife Photographer - 12 to 18 years” must be between 12 and 18 years old on the 4th May 2013 .
- Entries must have been taken in the United Kingdom of Great Britain Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
- Domestic pets and farm animals are not eligible, nor is exotic wildlife photographed in British zoos, safari parks or similar locations.
- An image will be rejected if in the opinion of the judges it appears that the image has been taken in such a way that wildlife law or animal welfare requirements may have been breached; protected species or habitats have been compromised; or the image has been otherwise taken in an irresponsible way. If you are licenced to take pictures or visit areas which might otherwise be unlawful you should say so, and we may ask to see the licence if your picture is shortlisted.
- Photographs using model animals or live bait are not permitted.
- Cultivated forms of wild plants are not permitted. For this purpose a cultivated plant has been planted, or is maintained by human intervention, and may also have been created from another species.
- Double exposures and other images that have been manipulated outside of the rules are not eligible.
- Images that have been entered into a major competition where the results are still pending are not eligible for entry.
- A picture that has already won a prize (winner, runner-up or commended) in a major competition (ie one receiving more than 500 images) national or international, cannot be entered in BWPA.
Opening and closing dates
The competition is open for entries from 1 February 2013 . The closing date is 4th May 2013.
- Unless otherwise specified there is no limit on the number of images which can be entered into each category. Categories which specify the number of entries are a maximum of five video clips in the video category, exactly four images for the seasons category, up to six images for the documentary series and up to four images for the Young People’s Award.
- All entries must be submitted digitally (scans from film are acceptable).
- No entries will be accepted by mail. No digital files will be returned, but all low-resolution images, apart from those short-listed, will be destroyed after the close of the competition.
- There is no limit to the number of categories an individual entrant can enter.
- No single image may be entered into more than one category
- Black and White Images can be entered into all categories
- Young photographers can enter up to four images.
- Each video clip must be no longer than one minute thirty seconds in length.
- Entries other than videos must either be submitted digitally (scans from film are acceptable) and online, uploaded to the website
- Entries will not be returned but will be destroyed after a suitable time, after the results are announced.
- Video clips must be sent in by post on CD or DVD and cannot be uploaded to the website.
A panel of photography experts “the Judges” will select images based upon technical skill, diversity, originality and creativity of composition. Judging will be anonymous. They will assess entries and a shortlist will be announced following the closing date. All those on the shortlist will be contacted and will then have approximately 10 days to supply a high-resolution file. Failure to produce a high-resolution file within the designated time period could eliminate an entrant from the shortlist. The organisers cannot be held responsible for emails that do not arrive due to the entrant’s email security settings or restrictions placed by their Internet service provider.
Entrants whose images are shortlisted, will be asked to supply an extended caption and in some cases other information. All winners will be notified by phone or email. A list of the winners will be published on the BWPA website.
The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Copyright and permissions
By submitting images to the BWPA, each entrant confirms and warrants that:
By entering the competition, you grant BWPA and its sponsors and supporters a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence to reproduce, enlarge, publish or exhibit, on any media, the images for any purpose directly connected with the competition. This may include, but is not limited to: inclusion in a book of winning and commended images; display at exhibitions; display on a web browser for judging purposes; on the BWPA website and on the websites of sponsors and supporters; for use in releases to be distributed to national, regional & specialist press and other media giving information about or promoting the competition.
- they are the sole author of each entry and that it is their original work;
- they own the copyright and any other intellectual property rights of each image;
- they have the permission of anyone pictured in the image (or, where the image shows any persons under 18, the consent of their parent/guardian) for the usage rights required by BWPA and will indemnify BWPA against any claims made by any third parties in respect of such infringement;
- they have not licensed or disposed of any rights in the image that would conflict with uses to be made by BWPA; and
- they have received any necessary permissions from the owner(s) of objects including buildings included in submitted images for the usage rights required by BWPA and will indemnify BWPA against any claims made by any third parties in respect of such infringement.
- Entrants agree that the organisers can sub-license images to the media for reproduction in connection with the competition and exhibition only.
- BWPA will make every reasonable effort to ensure that name credits are given to any photograph published in any medium.
- Free usage of any photograph will not be permitted by BWPA, or any of its partners or sponsors outside of the scope of the competition and exhibition.
- There is no plan envisaged by BWPA, or any of its partners or sponsors, to create a general commercial library of the images entered into this competition.
- Entrants retain the copyright to images submitted.
- Images used on merchandise commissioned by the organisers will be discussed individually with the photographer concerned and a separate agreement made.
Finalists agree to take part in post-competition publicity, for example attendance at an awards event.
- BWPA reserves the right to remove or refuse any entries from the competition for any reason.
- Entries will be refused or removed if in the sole judgement of the BWPA they could reasonably be expected to breach or contravene any applicable law or bring the competition, a sponsor, or the photographer into disrepute. Such entries will be deemed as void and any fees paid will not be refunded.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Should the entries in any category fall below the standard required by the competition organisers and the judges, then the organisers reserve the right not to award prizes.
- By accepting the Terms & Conditions of the competition and subsequently submitting your images, you have entered into an agreement with BWPA.
- Once entered, images cannot be withdrawn unless the organisers are notified of a permissions problem, in which case if the organisers are satisfied that there is evidence sufficient to justify withdrawal the images will be withdrawn but no refund will be payable.
- If you submit/upload fewer images than originally paid for then you will not be entitled to a refund. Credits are not carried over to future competitions and cannot be used after the closing date.
- If you feel you are entitled to a refund for any reason, you may request this by contacting us. We will consider all refund requests on a case-by-case basis and reserve the right to decline any refund for any reason. If a refund is approved, it will be actioned through the payment gateway you paid through. Your refund will be credited to the card you made payment with. You will receive a full refund minus the gateway processing costs.
BWPA bears no responsibility for loss, damage or injury incurred as a result of participation (and / or) involvement in the competition and awards.
The information given in these Terms & Conditions is correct, but BWPA reserve the right to change any of it without prior notice. By entering the competition, entrants will be deemed to have agreed to be bound by these Terms & Conditions. Any breach of these Terms by an entrant will void their entry. If a breach has occurred, but is discovered after the award of a prize, then the organisers may require the return of that prize.